Friday, June 26, 2009

TRIBUTE: Michael Jackson, "Beat It"

The first concert I ever went to was Michael Jackson's "Bad" Tour at Kemper Arena in Kansas City in 1988. Honestly, it was probably too late for a kid my age to have been out on a school night, but who really gave a frick... I was seeing The King of Pop! I went with my mom & some of her co-workers; my father didn't go, and to this day, he's still happy with that decision (what can I say: the man's not a fan of MJ).

I'd still like to think it's a pretty awesome first concert, though. Just like in this video, he was way up on a cherry-picker thing, so it made for a good show. And I think these were some of the best years for Michael. He's taken some weird twists & turns since that time, but hopefully people will remember him like this, or with his family in The Jackson Five.

So Michael, wherever you are: Jam On.

2 comments:

  1. didn't you also go to a new kids on the block concert with your mother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i won't deny my NKOTB experience--about two years after this concert, actually. but to my credit, i asked if we could leave halfway through, which we did. it was another concert steve did not attend.

    ReplyDelete