Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Beatles (Cartoon), "Eleanor Rigby"

"Eleanor Rigby" is one of my favorite Beatles songs because of how seemingly depressing it is.  Rubber Soul & Revolver to me are the beginning of Act Two in the Beatles catalog, when they started doing more meaningful songs; you can't miss a song that starts off with a string quartet and lyrics like "Ah, look at all the lonely people."  From the same people who brought you "I Want To Hold Your Hand" brings you the story of a lonely woman, a lonely man, and that same woman who dies and is laid to rest by the aforementioned lonely man.   Way to bring it down, guys.

So it's all the more interesting when this story is set to a cartoon.  Don't the kids just look horrified?  I suppose I would, too, if I knew of someone who actually kept their face in a jar by the door.  And then at the end, Eleanor's cookie party--and all the old people running to the cookies?  I've never seen old people run that fast for anything in my life:


No comments:

Post a Comment