Thursday, August 13, 2009

Roy Orbison, "You Got It"

I'm pretty close to finishing a 4+ hour documentary called "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down A Dream." It's taken me weeks to chip away at this thing, but I'm finally nearing the end. That's not to say that it's been a daunting task; it's a great movie. And it's interesting to see the influence of Tom Petty in classic rock.

One of the things I didn't know was that Petty and Jeff Lynne--lead singer of ELO--wrote "You Got It" for Roy Orbison, a fellow member of the supergroup Traveling Wilburys. I loved the tune growing up, and I remember that Orbison passed away not long after recording it, which kind of freaked me out as a kid. But it's a great tune, and I like it even more now that I know about all the people who made it happen:

No comments:

Post a Comment